|In the beautiful De Kaap Valley where Barberton is
situated, some of the oldest sedimentary rock formations in the world
are found. The promise of rich gold deposits lured diggers in their
thousands to this valley in the 1880's. Among those who came to the
valley were Graham Barber from Natal, and his cousins Fred
and Henry Barber.
In June 1884, they found what they named "Barber's Reef"
a reef so rich that it sparkled in the sun. A flood of diggers arrived,
and a motley collection of shacks, stores and canteens sprang up.
On the 24th of June 1884, David Wilson, mining commissioner of Kaapse
Hoop, broke a bottle of gin over a rock to christen the town
and Barberton was launched on a lively career.
Belhaven House Museum
This house museum which has been restored and furnished to its original
appearance in 1904, depicts the life style of a family from the
wealthy middle class during the late Victorian/Early Edwardian periods.
The original wood and iron house and outbuildings (stable, woodwork
shed and outside bedroom) were built in 1886 by James Stopforth,
a Baker and General Dealer. The house, which was rebuilt in 1892,
was occupied by the Stopforth family until 1983.
This wood and iron house was built in the early 1890's by Thomas
Lee and is presently used for temporary exhibits.
The building material and construction of this fort, which dates
from 1901, resembles the earliest type of blockhouse erected in
After the "Globe" had been restored by Mr. Louis Barnes,
it was declared a National Monument in 1979. It was built in 1887.
It is not open to the public.
Lewis and Marks Building
Sammy Marks and his cousin, Isaac Lewis, established a company which
later became an important undertaking in the Z.A.R. in the field
of mining, agriculture and industry. It was the first double-storey
building in Barberton and was built in 1887 by J J Kirkness for
the above-mentioned company.
This neo-Gothic building was originally the Union Church. It dates
from 1884. In 1887 it was taken over by the Lodge of St. John in
Jock of the Bushveld Statue
This statue is a memorial to that most indefatigable of dogs, Jock,
who belonged to the transport rider Percy Fitzpatrick.
Fortuna Mine Tunnel route. 2km. Torch necessary. Picnic facilities.
Rose's Creek walking route 1.5 km. Picnic facilities.
This locomotive was in service on the railway line between Barberton
and Kaapmuiden in about 1899.
The Garden of Rememberance and Regimantal Badges
During the Second World War a large military camp was established
to the northeast of the town. Many famous South African units passed
through the camp and to mark their stay erected replicas of their
regimental crests and badges in the camp.
All the remains of British servicemen and women who fell in the
Lowveld during the South African War 1899-1902 are buried in a cemetery
next to the previously mentioned camp site. The whole area is now
maintained as a garden of remembrance.
A famous indigenous plant, the first specimen of which was sent
to England in 1884. The crimson hued Pride of de Kaap is another
well-known local plant