After the mission station Toverberg was closed in 1818, Dr John
Phillip, superindent of South Africa, gave his name to this new
missionary outpost in 1823, making it the Free State's oldest town.
Adam Kok, a Griqua leader, settled here with his people in 1826,
and was established as a protector of the mission. When the government
of the Orange Free State agreed to sell the land to Britain for
400 pounds, Kok left with his people, and migrated 500km to Griqualand
Mixed farming is the town's principal industry.
Philippolis is a town rich in history: Bushman, Griqua, Englishmen,
Boer and Jew - each one of them made sure to leave their mark.
The Transgariep Museum
The museum exhibitions portray the Griqua history, Emily Hobhouses
Spinning and Weaving Schools, a horse mill and an open-air oven.
Adam Kok House
Home of the famouse Griqua leader.
Dutch Reformed Church
A elegant church, whose pulpit is hand-carved from wild olive wood.
Located on a hillock behind the Transgariep Museum are two cannons
once used for the defence of the Griqua people by Adam Kok.
A historical former horsedriven mill.
Van der Post Memorial Garden
Laurens Jan van der Post born in Philippolis, December 13,
1906, the thirteenth of fifteen children - led an extraordinary
and eventful life and one of great significance for our time; both
in peacetime and in war.
Van der Posts relatives believed that no other place on earth
was better suited as the final resting place for him than Philippolis.