Focus on Petrusburg, Free State, South Africa
Petrusburg, a rich agricultural centre, is situated 80km west of Bloemfontein on the R48.
Petrusburg was named after Petrus Albertus Venter whose estate provided the money to buy the farm Diepfontein, on which the town was laid out in 1891 as a church and commercial centre for an extensive farming area.
Mixed farming is practised in the 3000 square km which was excised from the Fauresmith district in 1863. The main activity is sheep farming. The main crops are maize and potatoes.
Modest quantities of wheat are harvested in the rare season when enough rain falls in winter and early spring.
There are numerous salt pans in the district.
Poplar Grove Battle
Paardeberg Anglo-Boer War Museum
Two Block houses
Article by: www.places.co.za