Middelburg, formely known as Nasareth - meaning
'root from dry land', was established on the farm Sterkfontein
in 1866, and owes the large extend of the town and the townlands
to a mathematical error.
Originally a church town, the name was changed in 1872 to Middelburg
to mark its situation midway between the two towns of Pretoria
and Lydenburg. Across the ridge on the north-western side towards
Botshabelo, the township of Mhluzi developed simultaneously and
became part of greater Middelburg in 1994.
The town has now far exeeded these boudaries, and has today outgrown
all expectations to become a large farming and industrial centre,
with a growth rate equal to the best in the country.
"Cycad" Hiking Trails
Excellent day and overnight hikes are available through Middelburg's
fascinating floral invironment. These include the Cycad Bobbejaan
(a 9-day hike), Cycad, Cycad Suikerbos and Cycad Tarentaal Trails.
The Middelburg Nature Reserve
Provides shelter to many game species, while many marked trails
offer a sight of the beauty of the highveld, including large colonies
Water sports make a splash at the centrally situated Kruger Dam,
with rondavels and a caravan park.
The nearby expanse of Middelburg Dam offers fine sailing and fishing
and plenty of relaxed, sunny weekends for the oudoor types.
Many buildings of this historical village have been restored,
including Fort Merensky and The Parsonage, former houses now part
of a museum complex, churches, and the old dining hall.
Dutch Reformed Church
Built in 1890, it has served as the focal point for the district
ever since. The Nagmaal (Communion) was originally held here by
A national monument, dating to 1896. One of the few remaining
old stone bridges built by the Transvaal Republic.
On the site of the large former concentration camp is a memorial
to the 1 381 women and children who died here during the Anglo-Boer
An extension of the Botshabelo museum complex, showing the traditional
culture still practised by these hospitable people.
Middelburg bursts with flourishing educational institutions from
nursery schools to the Technical College, covering all areas and
languages. The town also has cinemas, libraries, international
restaurants and sophisticated shops.