| Finding a really excellent estate agent can take a lot of
stress out of a property deal and save consumers time and money.
The question, says Dr Willie Marais, national president of the Institute
of Estate Agents (IEASA), is what makes an agent a great agent
and how does one find such an agent?
There are of course some intangible qualities that catapult some
agents into an exceptional class of their own. However, there are some
clear pointers that consumers who want to identify a top agent can follow,
Here are 10 of the best:
- Choose a full-time agent. Part-time dabblers in real estate have
mostly been pushed out of the industry and it is with good reason
that full-time professionals have weathered the challenges of the current
- Speak to satisfied clients and ask them what made their agents special
to start you off on your search.
- Look for an agent who displays passion, drive, enthusiasm and dedication
and who will gladly go the extra mile when called upon to do so.
- Find a local agent with a good grasp of the market where you intend
buying or selling.
- Find an agent who can think creatively and who can come up with solutions
that will satisfy sellers as well as buyers in tough negotiations.
- Make sure your chosen agent is comfortable with technology. The internet
is playing an ever greater role in property transactions and top agents
know how to use technology to the best advantage.
- Look for an agent that has access to related experts, especially
if you are buying property in a strange town. An agent who can refer
you to a reliable plumber in the middle of the night can be worth his
weight in gold.
- Make sure your chosen agent is respected by his peers respect
is a key ingredient when an agent has to network with others to find
you a buyer or a property.
- Check support systems. A good agent is a busy agent and you need
to know that a capable assistant can help you when your agent is tied
- Finally, listen to your instincts and choose an agent you can trust
and feel comfortable with. A good rapport with an agent will go a long
way towards concluding a satisfactory transaction.