Focus on Middelburg, Mpumalanga, South Africa
Middelburg, formely known as Nasareth - meaning 'root from dry land', was established on the farm Sterkfontein in 1866, and owes the large extend of the town and the townlands to a mathematical error.
Originally a church town, the name was changed in 1872 to Middelburg to mark its situation midway between the two towns of Pretoria and Lydenburg. Across the ridge on the north-western side towards Botshabelo, the township of Mhluzi developed simultaneously and became part of greater Middelburg in 1994.
The town has now far exeeded these boudaries, and has today outgrown all expectations to become a large farming and industrial centre, with a growth rate equal to the best in the country.
"Cycad" Hiking Trails
The Middelburg Nature Reserve
Dutch Reformed Church
Middelburg bursts with flourishing educational institutions from nursery schools to the Technical College, covering all areas and languages. The town also has cinemas, libraries, international restaurants and sophisticated shops.
Article from: www.places.co.za