A living musuem - the entire town has been declared a national
Monument - taking the visitors to the day of old Transvaal Gold
Pilgrim's Rest was declared a gold field in 1873, soon after digger
Alec "Wheelbarrow" Patterson had found gold deposits in
Pilgrim's Creek. The Valley proved to be rich in gold and by the
end of the year, there where about 1500 diggers working in the area.
As a result, Pilgrim's Rest became a social center of the diggings.
Mining was active until 1971 when Beta Mine was closed down. Tranvaal
Gold Mining Estates opened again in 1999 and there is active gold
mining in the hills around Pilgrim's Rest.
Central Information Office
Provides the visitor's with an overview of Pilgrim's Rest past and
Graceful church architecture can be seen in the form of the Sacred
Heart Church, St Mary's Church, Methodist Church and Dutch Reformed
Digging Museum & Gold Panning
An informative display and tour, detailing the lifestyle of original
pioneer and the methods they used in panning alluvial deposits.
Dredzen Shop and House Museum
A living museum depicting the lifestyle of the town's original general
dealers, including the family of the owner living inthe back of
the house, and original goods on display in the streetside shop.
Early graves of the town's residents, showing the common causes
of death in the town at the time. The 19th Century grave of a tent
robbercaught in the act lies perpendicularly to the others.
Built in 1896 at the western entrance to the town.
Mount Sheba Nature Reserve
A series of outstanding walks can be taken throughout this reserve,
offering spectacular scenery.
See the escarpment on horseback, on daily or overnight camping rides.
A tribute to the printing industry, including historical front pages
of local publications.
TGME Golf Course
A tricky 9-hole layout with shared greens. The clubhouse's walls
were constructed with materials brought originally by ox-wagon from
Village Walking Trails
Maps can be obtained from the Central Info Office, showing routes
through the historic streets of the town.