Focus on Bethlehem, Free State, South Africa
is the largest commercial, industrial and educational centre in the eastern
Free State and the northern terminus of the 'mountain route'.
The original settlers found that wheat flourished in the valley, so the town was named Bethlehem (house of bread).
Approximately eight kilometres from town is a cairn of rocks that is very significant to the people of Lesotho. On their way to work at the Witwatersrand gold mines, the workers would drop a stone on the pile, entreating their ancestors for protection on their journey.
On the way back home to Lesotho they would drop another stone on the pile to thank their ancestors for a safe journey.
It is situated in a farming and livestock area and has industries producing
furniture and food products. Bethlehem was founded in 1860, and its
main growth began after the railroad from Natal (present-day KwaZulu-Natal)
reached there in 1905.
Article from: www.go2africa.com