Dr HJ van der Bijl, a brilliant young scientist
working in the United States, was called back to South Africa in 1920 by
Prime Minister Jan Smuts to advise the government on planning South Africa'a
industrial development. Van der Bijl oversaw the inauguration of the Iron and
Steel Corporations's (ISCOR) first plant at Pretoria in 1934 and, with increased
000ha was bought to build a large steelworks and model city for its employees
The steelworks, the largest works
in the Southern Hemisphere, began operating in 1947 and the town, which
forms Gauteng's border along the Vaal River, was proclaimed in 1949 and
attained municipal status in 1952.
500 000 trees shade streets named after scientists, engineers, composers, poets,
writers and medical practitioners. They house one of the most cosmopolitan communities
in the country.
An extensive riverbank development.
in 1922, this all-encompassing watersystem provides Southern Gauteng with
over a billion litres daily. Unsprisingly, it has become a popular watersports
destination with excellent facilities.